NB. We are pleased to inform parents and carers that from September 2018 King Alfred’s students will have a new uniform. Our Governors are working on an updated uniform policy which will be made available in the New Year.
Please click HERE to see the recent announcement that has been sent out to parents and students and thank you to everyone who took part in one of the many strands of our Uniform Consultation.
A Q&A document which we hope will address a variety of more practical questions regarding introduction of the new uniform can be viewed by clicking HERE.
In the meantime, King Alfred’s Uniform and Dress Code is detailed below.
Day Uniform – Years 7 to 11 – Girls and Boys
- Black Sweatshirt with King Alfred’s logo and House name*.
- Sky Blue Polo with King Alfred’s logo and House name*.
- Traditional plain black skirt which must be of knee length (tight Lycra skirts and ‘skater’ skirts are not acceptable).
- Plain black full-length trousers of a suitable style, tailored appropriately, ie. not overly tight. Unacceptable trousers include those wider than shoes, jeans, chino style trousers, cargo pants, jeggings, leggings and those with large exposed buttons or zips, e.g. “Miss Sexy” trousers.
- Plain black shoes with heels of a suitable height (No platform heels, sandals, backless or strapless shoes, boots, training shoes or canvas pumps).
- Black or neutral tights, white or black socks.
- Coats are needed in cold weather. A choice of King Alfred’s coats (and hoodie for Years 9-11) is available through PMG Schoolwear. If a student wishes to wear their own coat, these should avoid inappropriate logos and design features and should preferably be plain. Any logo should be small and discreet. Non-uniform hoodies, denim or leather jackets and any other inappropriate or non-weatherproof coats are not permitted. All outdoor clothing (coats, gloves, scarves, etc) should be removed on entering the building.
Years 7 to 11
- Years 7-8 are allowed a watch and one small plain stud in each ear lobe only – no other studs are allowed. Years 9-11 are allowed as above plus one ring and one bracelet. No face or body piercing.
- One simple black belt only, if worn.
- Only short sleeved white T shirts should be worn under polo shirts.
- No make-up should be worn in Years 7 and 8. Make-up worn by girls in Year 9 and above should be subtle. Students with excessive amounts of make up on will be asked to remove it. No nail varnish.
- Hair should be of a sensible length, style and colour (at the discretion of the academy). Extremely short razor lines cut into the hair, non-natural colours, fully or partially shaved hair, or excessive hair gel are unacceptable.
- Students need a rucksack style bag large enough to carry A4 books and files. ‘Just Do It’ bags and drawstring bags are not appropriate. In Year 9 and above suitably large shoulder bags are also acceptable. Handbags and plastic bags are not appropriate.
No hoodies other than
King Alfred’s hoodies
No face or body piercing
No make-up or nail varnish
No tight trousers, jeans,
cords or leggings
Please note that failure to comply with King Alfred’s Uniform regulations and Dress Code will result in the student working in isolation under the supervision of a senior member of staff until the situation is resolved.
If in any doubt about any aspect of the dress code, please ask a Student Manager before committing to a purchase or allowing your child to commit to a change in appearance!
Indoor Sports Kit
Outdoor Sports Kit
- Navy blue polo shirt with King Alfred’s logo and House name (Unisex or ‘Girls Cut’ option)
- Navy blue outer garment with King Alfred’s logo and House name (Unisex Fleece or Unisex Rugby Top)
- Navy blue matching panelled shorts with King Alfred’s logo. A ‘Skort option’ is also available.
- Plain navy blue (or black) sports socks.
- Plain navy blue (or black) tracksuit bottoms
- Plain navy blue (or black) cycling shorts
- Plain navy blue (or black) sports leggings
- Mid-layer with King Alfred’s logo
- Base-layer with “King Alfred’s” vinyl on sleeve
- Navy blue Unisex ‘Drill/Splash’ Jacket with King Alfred’s logo
* All these items can be purchased from our uniform supplier PMG Schoolwear – Online at: www.pmgschoolwear.co.uk or from their showroom at 8 Regal Way, Faringdon, Oxon SN7 7BX
Freephone: 0800 404 6644
Financial help may be available (via the King Alfred’s Education Charity) towards the cost of purchasing uniform. Any requests can be made (in confidence), through the Student Manager for your child’s year group.
- For swimming all students will require a swimming costume, a towel and a swimming hat. Boys are not allowed to wear long shorts in the pool and girls must wear a one-piece costume.
- Football boots are required for activities such as football and rugby. However, we advise that you do not purchase them until your daughter/son is about to begin these activities (PE staff will inform them in advance).
- Showers after PE are not compulsory as it is assumed that students will shower when they return home in the evening.