Role of the Tutor
Students will receive support and guidance through individual counselling by a personal tutor and senior staff. Sixth Form students attend tutorial session every day.
- Monitor attendance.
- Provide support and guidance throughout the course including individual mentoring.
- Offer career and higher education advice.
- Provide references as appropriate.
- Liaise with staff and parents with regard to progress, course choice and career plans.
This programme is run by senior staff and is a compulsory part of any course. The aims of the programme are:
- To give students the skills, confidence, knowledge and awareness to be full members of adult society. To provide all Sixth Formers with a common programme which is broad, balanced, relevant and coherent and designed to extend and enrich their Sixth Form experience.
- General themes: Citizenship; Community; Study Skills; Health; Careers; Financial Awareness; Personal, Social and Moral Education
- This is generally delivered through year group assemblies and where appropriate guest speakers
At King Alfred’s Sixth Form we are fully committed to providing equal opportunities of the highest quality to enable every student to achieve her or his potential. Our guiding principle is inclusion and we aim to ensure that the Sixth Form curriculum is accessible and appropriate for each student.
The Sixth Form Student Support Service led by our Sixth Form Student Manager works in partnership with the Learning Support Department, tutors, subject teachers and the Academy Counsellor.
- One to one advice and support for academic study skills.
- Organisation and assignment planning.
- Writing skills – note taking, report and essay writing.
- Revision and exam techniques.
- Support for students with dyslexia.
- Appointments with one of King Alfred’s counsellors.
- Support from an external network of academic and life skills mentors.
- The 16-19 Bursary is a discretionary fund which the College administers to students on a means tested basis.
- The Bursary is intended to financially support the costs associated with continuing study.
- An application pack with full details is available at the start of the academic year.